Blackjack is a game in itself. Blackjack stands alone at the casino and is one of the most popular tables in the house. Blackjack has a long history and avid players, as such the game has developed its own language. If you have never played blackjack before, but would like to try, learning this language is one of the key steps to playing the game well. After all, you need to know what the dealer and the other players are talking about before you can make the best moves for your hand. Fortunately, blackjack lingo is straightforward and simple, more so than poker, and anyone can pick it up.
Common Blackjack Terms
Table: The table refers to the blackjack table. This is where the dealer will stand, the players will sit, and all cards and bets will be handled.
Dealer: The dealer is responsible for shuffling the cards, handing out the plays, and taking bets. The dealer will also call each round of blackjack and hand out the winnings. In blackjack, you play against both the dealer and the other players at the table.
Player Roster: For blackjack to be played you must have at least one dealer and at least one player. The amount of players sitting at the table is referred to as the player roster. Blackjack players sometimes use this term when talking about their opponents.
- Basement: Basement is another way of saying player in blackjack. Each player is a baseman.
- First Baseman: The first baseman refers to the player sitting directly to the left of the dealer. This is the first player to act after the cards have been drawn.
- Third Baseman: The third baseman is the last player to act on a hand because he or she is seated last at the table, or on the right side of the dealer.
Anchorman: Anchorman is another term for the third baseman or the last player seated at the table.
- Twenty-One: Blackjack is sometimes referred to as twenty-one because you need a total of twenty-one cards (or closer than the dealer and other players) to win. Most all casinos call blackjack by its proper name, but the term twenty-one is common around private home games.
- Natural Blackjack: A natural blackjack is a rare occurrence in the card game. A natural blackjack occurs when a player is dealt 21 in the first two cards. If a player is dealt 21 in their first to cards, it is an automatic win and the dealer can not beat out or tie with them.